Monday, June 30, 2008

You Can Eat The Flowers?


My Dill-ee-yo


My herbs have done great this year....except for the parsley. One cut of that and it was done. Otherwise, I've gotten a lot of use out of my herb section. My dill, in particular, has been great. But as the summer has gone on, it has gotten taller and less like what we see in the grocery store. Recently, all that was left is long stems and a pretty array of small yellow flowers.

Tonight I wanted to use dill for a tomato, cucumber, feta cheese salad. But could I use the flowers? After a little research, apparently I can. In fact, you can eat a lot of flowers. Here's a link: Edible Flowers List

And the recipe for that salad:
2 Tomatoes, diced
1 Large Cucumber, diced
2/3 cup Feta Cheese
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tablespoons fresh dill
1 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and chill in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

chefmatt said...

Maybe you are the one who should have the culinary degree!?! I’m definitely interested in some of the literature in which you get your inspirations to garden and create recipes. Whatever, where ever, or whomever that has inspired you, seems to have blessed with a true gift. You may find yourself waking up one morning or every morning for that matter and asking yourself... why? Or how? Can I teach others my knowledge?? And one phrase will always answer all of your questions. "I don’t know how I do it.... but I do it!"

Congrats on all of the fruitas y vegetales y floras!

One day you will have an avocado tree, or will grow ginger root, even find yourself cutting down lemongrass with a machete. Just give it a few years and you will milking a big daisy cow behind the white house, just to end up in your kitchen making fresh mozzarella to go along with sliced roma tomatoes, chiffanod of basil, drizzled with "first press" E.V.O.O. from the hills of Tuscany and finished with 15yr aged Balsamic Vinegar... just a thought.