Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Check Out The Legs On That One!!!


Cilantro Seedlings

A couple posts ago I mentioned a problem I was having with my new sprouts called "legging". Legging occurs when the newly sprouted plants do not get a proper amount of sunlight. The sprouts are so desperate for light, they grow very long stems trying to reach for sunlight. Everyday for the first week, the sprouts would actually lean towards the window.

Legging is bad because the plants use all their effort to grow up rather than begin a strong root foundation. Also, the long, thin frame leaves it succeptable to the outside wind and cool temperatures.

I had to go a couple routes to help alleviate this problem. Since we've had a lot of rainy days, I needed to find a way to provide artificial sunlight. I ran over to the local garden center and bought a 150-watt grow light. On cloudy, cool days I leave the plants inside and turn on the grow light for 8 hours. This process helped in stopping the plants from continuing to leg. At least now they can begin to strengthen their roots and stalks.

In The Second Week, Jeremy Created Light

My second route was to actually plant some of the sprouts in their permanent summer homes. The acorn squash seedlings had become quite leggy but had good leaf structure. Knowing that we had passed our last freeze, I planted the squash in a pot I planted cucumbers last year. But when I planted them, I buried the sprouts almost to the leaves. The plants were not strong enough to handle winds and hard rain. By burying the plants so deep, the soil provided support. But as you may see in the picture below, some of the stalks still could not handle the stress and broke off. This is not a bad thing in that surviving stalks now have more room to grow and spread. Kind of like the garden's version of natural selection. 
Planted Acorn Squash

I also read another option to alleviate legging is fanning the plants with paper or other objects. This simulates wind and tells the plant it needs to strengthen itself in order to survive the environment. To me, this sounds like you'd have to do a lot of fanning. So my advice is to get the plants as much natural sunlight and warm temps as possible. And if you can't, buy the light.

Let's also update the status on all our crops. I can say as of this past weekend, ALL of our seed varieties have germinated. Some better than others. 

The Outside Crops

All the root veggies have begun popping up. The rutabagas came up first followed by the onions and carrots. The salad mix lettuce has also made its appearance. Last year's peppermint is still rising from its winter death bed and the strawberry plants are all coming back to life. The chives plant is a huge weed (which is awesome for mashed potatoes).

The Sugar Peas Are Reaching For The Trellis

I'm very impressed with the way the dwarf sugar peas have sprouted. I fully expect within the next week or two the sprouts will have reached the base of the trellis and will quickly head to the top. They have been the fastest growers.

The Inside Crops

With the legging problem under control, I'm feeling good about the inside guys, too. The cilantro has begun making leaves with that signature rigid look. The chamomile and thyme haven't done much since first sprouting. The lavender has one stalk that looks healthy with large leaves. The rosemary is the runt of the family. But my focus is on the New Mexico chile varieties. They both germinated a little earlier than I expected, but they look really good at this point. I have my fingers crossed.

Because we are going on vacation for a week and a half, the inside crops will be under the kind care of a coworker in the bureau. They are in my boss's office in front of a large west-facing window. So let's hope for some long and sunny afternoons!!!

All-in-all, we're looking pretty good. Once we get back from our trip, it will be time to get the other veggie plants into the pots and on their way to producing great eats.

No comments: