Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Muy Caliente!!

Look what Rosetta Stone has taught me to say!!!

My first batch of jalapenos is raring to be harvested and used in a batch of guacamole (along with some cilantro over in the herb aisle next to the parsley). Last week I plucked my first pepper to taste. The surprising part of the first 'peno was its tightly packed seeds and white flesh. The seeds were much smaller than what I've seen in grocery store peppers. I do know the heat of a pepper is packed in those seeds and flesh.

I bucked up and tried the first bite seeds, flesh, and all; might as well find out how hot a punch they are packing. The first five seconds were intensely hot...but it quickly calmed. I thought the flavor was great. The rest of the pepper ended up on some homemade nachos.

So the only lesson I can give here: if you don't want the jalapeno's heat, cut out the seeds and white flesh before consuming. Me? Let's get some chips and avocados and have us a fiesta.

No comments: